Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mother's Day to Me



Last weekend I called my wise sister, Marie, to get some motherly advice from her. I was ready to try potty training Olivia and knew Marie was the person to call and ask about it. Marie has three kids and potty trained them all at or around 2 years old. Olivia turned 2 just over a month ago and my baby is due in 3 weeks, so I think now is a good time to give it a go.

I won't give any real details because those of you who have been through it, I am sure, are happy to never relive it and those who have not been through it should remain blissfully ignorant of the whole ordeal.

I talked to Marie last weekend and then decided I would potty train her starting the next Friday. I usually don't work on Fridays, but I ended up having to work so I pushed it off until Saturday. Saturday went okay, but we did not make a whole lot of progress. We continued Sunday morning. As I was on my knees cleaning up the third pool of pee for the day, I realized it was Mother's Day and thought to myself- why the freak did I plan this for this weekend!? Oh well. It made me feel more like a mother I guess, and I little like a maid. It was all worth it though when we went to church and I picked Olivia up from her Nursery class and she has made me this bookmark that she had glued hearts on and punched holes in. I am not going to lie, I got all teary eyed! The first handmade gift my child has ever made for me! Next Mother's Day I will have an almost one year old. Freaky!

Matthew also took me out to lunch a few days ago, made me dinner tonight, got me some candy and Danish pastries and is going to watch any stupid movie I want to! I am one lucky mother.

Happy Mother's Day to me- and to you!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Yea for potty training! I tried potty training Tressa when she was 2, but she was not quite ready for it. So I regrouped until she was ready... which I determined was when she was more interested in what goes in the toilet. Good luck!

AND Happy Mother's Day!

Elizabeth said...

Happy Mother's Day, Sharon!!!

Love the picture of your belly. You look great.

Oh my gosh, wait until after the baby is born to toilet train! Trust me. Potty training regression is the worst.

I love church mother's day crafts too. I marveled yesterday that all of my kids' teachers planned for their groups to give the moms something. I was impressed.

cowgurs said...

may the 4th be with you sharon.......

~Merrill ~Millennial Preschool said...

Potty training.... so much fun! We are working on it with Caroline too. You are a beautiful mommy , with a cute little 2 yr. old. I hope you got your birthday card!